Welcome to the Green Apple Photography Blog. By viewing my stories and images, you will get a glimpse into my shooting style and personal experiences. My mission is to get you excited about your family portraits, about the moments I capture of your gorgeous children and the beauty of your pregnant body. I want you to share them with your friends and family and to see quality and artistry in every image.

For the many people who share their comments, stories, and lives with me, thank you!

Monday, September 9, 2013

Elmira Children's Photographer. mom + camera: focus tips and tricks

Focusing can actually be quite difficult to master with little moving people.  For this reason, I recommend that anyone who really loves photography invest in an SLR (single lens reflex) camera.  There is no delay when trying to take an image of your children.  You know, when they finally sit still and you have the camera ready and the moment you push the shutter, they move!  You end up with a blurry mess or a very bizarre facial expression and you end up with something like this pic from my camera phone.

Back to my focusing tips and tricks.
1. Focus on the eye.  
When we look at people we look at their eyes.  If the image doesn't have sharp eyes (in focus), then it just doesn't look right.

2. Focus on the eye that is closest to you.
If your child is slighting turned, then you will want to focus on the eye that is closest to the camera.  Our cameras focus on the point that we tell them to, and then slightly behind.  If you focus on the farther eye, the front one won't be in focus.

3. Use a slightly smaller fstop (larger number).
The best lenses offer apertures of 1.8, 1.4 and even 1.2.  This means that only a small portion of our image is in focus and this is how we get that amazing blurred background.  But when you are first learning to focus, having a smaller aperture allows a greater plain of focus if you kids are moving.  I rarely shoot larger than f3.2 when I'm photographing little people.  If your kids are older and more likely to stay put for longer, then you can practice with a larger aperture.

4. Delete images that aren't in proper focus.
When you get the images onto your computer and the eyes aren't in focus - delete the image.  I know but it was the cutest, most adorable picture ever.  But honestly, you won't get better if you don't force yourself to nail that focus every time.   Ok - so keep it for a bit, but try again to get a similar shot the next day with your focus bang on - you won't regret it.

Here are some images of my 2 boys where their eyes are in sharp focus and it is glorious!

If you are new to your DSLR and don't know what I'm talking about in #3, I do offer limited 1-on-1 mentor sessions for moms who want to take better images.  I also have a group course that I will be offering in the new year (or sooner).  So get a group of your girlfriends together, a bottle of wine and I will come to your place and teach you how to take better images of your little people!

Also, check my facebook page for info on a mom + camera Thursday evening Q&A session.  I will help answer your questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment