Welcome to the Green Apple Photography Blog. By viewing my stories and images, you will get a glimpse into my shooting style and personal experiences. My mission is to get you excited about your family portraits, about the moments I capture of your gorgeous children and the beauty of your pregnant body. I want you to share them with your friends and family and to see quality and artistry in every image.

For the many people who share their comments, stories, and lives with me, thank you!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

“ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

You've scheduled your child for a portrait session.  Finally and Yay! Someone else can try to encourage your child to co-operate with the camera.  Even my own kids constantly turn away, make grumpy faces and cry when mom is taking pictures.  For some reason, someone different (and experienced) can always get the best out of your child - even if its for only a few minutes.

So how do you prepare your child for a portrait session?

1. Don't make a big deal about it.  The more you talk about it and try to coach them, the more nervous they will get.

2. Dress them in something comfortable.  That doesn't mean they need to be in play clothes, but ensure that their clothing isn't tight, scratchy or uncomfortable in some way.

3. Prepare your photographer.  Let them know if your child is super shy, very outgoing or extremely energetic (oh wait, that's every kid!)

4. Let them be.  The best images come when your child is completely themselves.  As a photographer, I want the child 100% focused on me.  When mom is popping up saying "Look here.  Smile sweety. Don't put your hands there." It can be very confusing and overwhelming for a child.  I often tell Mom and Dad that they are off the hook.  No discipline, no coaching, no nothing...they can step back for a few minutes and I will call them if I need to.

5. Reschedule if they are sick.  There's nothing worse than trying to get a smile out of a little one that isn't feeling well.  Your child will not be happy, mom won't be happy and that doesn't make a positive experience for anyone.   Plus, I don't want to get sick either. 

6. Most importantly, let your child know that they will have fun!  Portrait sessions shouldn't be stuffy and boring - especially for kids.

Happy Birthday Thomas!





No comments:

Post a Comment